Essential oils are concentrated liquids that have been extracted from plants, and the power of these extracts is undeniably impressive, regardless of their implementation. These volatile liquids are extremely potent but can serve a variety of benefits to those who utilize them correctly (like in an aromatherapy spray and other methods, which we’ll get to in a minute!)
This practice is called aromatherapy (also called essential oil therapy), which is the process of using essential oils to promote well-being in a holistic manner.
The Benefits of Aromatherapy
Aromatherapy has numerous benefits for users to experience – and love. These benefits are also quite diverse, but dependent on the specific essential oil used and how it’s used. Just some of these benefits include:
● Relaxing the nerves
● Stimulating attention & focus
● Improving mood and sense of wellbeing
● Soothing bodily discomforts like tired feet or overworked muscles
● Cleansing and calming the skin
● Refreshing your sheets, clothing, and other linens
● Purifying the air – especially in highly trafficked areas like bathrooms and fitness studios
● And many more!
5 Most Popular Essential Oils and Their Uses in Aromatherapy
As mentioned above, the benefits of essential oils are quite dependent on the oil itself – both which plant it is extracted from and the quality of the extract – as well as their administration method. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular essential oils and their particular uses.
1. Tea Tree Oil – When mixed with castor oil then applied to the skin with a cotton ball, it can help balance oily skin conditions and blemishes.
2. Lavender Oil – When applied topically through lotions and other beauty products, lavender oil can soothe stress and anxiety.
3. Peppermint Oil – This oil has a host of uses, such as soothing everything from itchy skin to muscle soreness. It has also been used for respiratory support – especially during cold and allergy seasons – and for stimulating mental alertness.
4. Chamomile Oil – Chamomile goes farther than being just your favorite sleepytime tea. Chamomile oil can soothe an upset tummy, irritated skin conditions, and even anxiety.
5. Bergamot Oil – When this oil is either applied topically or used in a diffuser or other aromatherapy products, it can refresh your space while uplifting your mood.
4 Most Popular Methods of Aromatherapy Administration
Before you go out and purchase just any bottle of essential oils and dab it onto your skin, you should know the safe and proper ways of administering aromatherapy oils. If you don’t, you may not get the most out of it or you could even risk hurting yourself (we did say earlier that essential oils were potent!)
Let’s look at the four most common ways of administering essential oils in aromatherapy.
1. Aromatherapy Spray
Yes, you could simply just spray these essential oils (with other beneficial ingredients) and get miraculous results! Aromatherapy spray (also referred to as “aromatherapy mist”) can be spritzed onto your bedding, clothes, rooms, your car, gym bag– almost anywhere!
2. Direct Inhalation
Another great method for administering essential oils is through direct inhalation, which can be done by directly smelling their aromas from their bottles or through a vaporizer.
3. Indirect Inhalation
Yet another extremely popular way of reaping the benefits of essential oils in aromatherapy is through indirect inhalation. This can be done through a diffuser, during massages, or oil lamps.
4. Topical Applications
As mentioned several times in this article, you can also apply essential oils topically. However, you will need to be careful with this method as sometimes it can irritate or dry out your skin, so be sure to mix it with a base oil – sweet almond and jojoba oils are our favorites! They can also be applied topically through pre-formulated aromatherapy lotions, cleansers, moisturizers, bath products, toners, shampoos, conditioners– the possibilities are endless!
When it comes to your aromatherapy, you deserve only the best. That is why we cannot suggest KM Herbals enough. They have high-quality products with only the most premium ingredients available. Browse their products today, including their aromatherapy sprays, and find what would be best for you and your lifestyle!