Israeli Durable Power of Attorney

Preparing for Senior Years in Israel

As you prepare for the future, there are specific documents that you should have to protect your interests. Legal and health-related documents are important because they protect you and your assets to ensure that your wishes will be honored in the event that you can no longer verbalize those wishes.

Individuals who have dual American-Israeli citizenship, who spend time in both countries or who have assets in both countries should be aware that the laws of the two jurisdictions differ in many ways. If you will be relying on Israeli authorities to carry out your wishes, speak to the David Page Law American-Israel Law office to make sure that all of your documents are prepared properly.

Durable Power of Attorney

One of the first documents that you will need is an Israeli Durable Power of Attorney. This document legally designates the person who will act on your behalf if the need presents itself. A DPOA covers different aspects of the law in America and in Israel so it’s important to make sure that, even if you have a DPOA in America, you have an Israeli DPOA as well.

In Israel, a DPOA gives the person authority to act on your behalf in matters relating to financial investments, banking, real estate, government benefits, beneficiary and estate trust transactions and personal and family maintenance issues. In Israel, a DPOA does NOT cover health care or end-of-life issues so an Israeli court may not recognize an American DPOA.

An additional document, that of Ongoing Power of Attorney, covers a time the designated individual will determine issues regarding the senior’s personal care, living arrangements, possessions, etc.  

Health Care

In Israel, appointing a healthcare proxy involves designating the person who is authorized to make medical decisions on your behalf if and when you are unable to make your own decisions. The document must be witnessed properly and filed with the office of the Administrator General. A healthcare proxy in Israel has no authorization to make end-of-life decisions.

Wills, Trusts, Estates Planning and Probate

In order to express your wishes regarding your finances and assets you should have a will, trust or estate plan in place which insures that your assets will be distributed to beneficiaries as you wish.

When planning your estate, you need to create a will and a trust which can then be incorporated into your estate plan. The trust sets out your wishes about how you want to manage your assets during your lifetime. A will expresses your wishes for the allocation of your assets after your death including benefits from insurance policies and investments. Your will can also document your wishes of who you want to take care of your minor children in the event that you can no longer do so.

If you have assets in both Israel and the U.S. you will need to probate the will in both countries UNLESS you have created Wills in both the United State and in Israel. David Page Law is licensed to practice law in both the United States and in Israel.  He can create the documents that you need to fulfill the legal requirements of both countries. Speak to David Page Law today.  

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *