A personal mission statement clarifies what is important in an individual’s life. A personal mission statement is a written statement of purpose that allows individuals to define their calling in life. It helps to clarify goals, values, beliefs or passions, communicate them and better perform personal work. growth strategy .
Understanding a person ‘s mission statement
Most statements incorporate the following elements:
- Goals, values, beliefs or passions.
- Personal, professional or desired attributes.
- Past achievements, awards or honors.
Personal mission statements are often associated with brand building . The individual can use their mission statement as a filter to determine if new opportunities align with their brand . Ultimately, this makes personal and professional life decisions much easier to make and increases the chances of success.
Writing a personal mission statement
Developing a mission statement personality can be difficult for some because it requires a certain level of introspection. One should think deeply about what is important to them, while remaining authentic and honest about their desires.
To make the process easier, follow these steps:
- Identify past successes. Think of past examples of personal success at work, at home, or in the community. Are there common themes? A product innovation specialist who enjoys managing fundraising events might classify creative problem solving as a common theme.
- Identify core values. Who are you and what are your priorities in life? Are you creative, compassionate, positive, analytical or a decision maker? If you’re struggling to describe yourself, ask others to describe you. From the list of values, choose the five most important ones. Finally, choose a value that resonates with you most deeply.
- Identify contributions. Theoretically, how could you contribute to a work, family or community setting in a meaningful way? Use past values and successes as a guide.
- Identify goals. While you should make a list of short-term and long-term goals, more ambitious long-term goals are more likely to result in motivation and purpose.
- Write the mission statement . Here, brevity is important – make sure the statement is one to two sentences at most.
Examples of Notable Personalities Mission Statements Française |
For more inspiration, consider the following examples of notable leaders:
- Elon Musk, Tesla CEO – ” If something is important enough, you should try it, even if the likely result is failure. “
- Oprah Winfrey, Founder of the Oprah Winfrey Network – “ Being a teacher. And being known for inspiring my students to be more than they thought they could be. “
- Richard Branson, Founder of Virgin Group – “ To have fun on my journey through life and learn from my mistakes. “
- Denise Morrison, CEO of Campbell Soup Company – “ Serve as a leader, live a balanced life and apply ethical principles to make a meaningful difference. “
Other personal mission statement examples
As we have seen, personal mission statements encourage individuals to clarify their values, goals and what is important to them.
They define who the individual is as a person, or in a work context, who they represent as a team member or employee.
According to career coach and author Dan Miller, mission statements should be made up of three main components:
- The individual’s abilities, skills, or competencies. In other words, what they like to do.
- Personality traits that define how the individual prefers to operate, and
- Your values, passions and aspirations. These provide clarity on what motivates them and why they want to excel at something.
Personal Mission Statements that are authentic and representative of the individual can serve as a compass for that person as they live their life or make important decisions.
Successful people use mission statements to record their lofty but achievable intentions and ensure they act in accordance with their values most of the time.